Sunday, July 19, 2015

Patriots' Resume' - Scott Chandler

What if New England Patriots' head ball coach Bill Belichick required resumes from his players - what would those look like?  We take a stab at them, in alphabetical order...

Dear Coach,

From the moment the Buffalo Bills dumped me in a cap-related move, you were all over my agent, trumping the tight end-needy Baltimore Ravens at every turn, finally out-hustling them for my services.  The contract wasn't really that huge, but for a guy approaching 30 and playing in the football wasteland which is Buffalo for the past four seasons, the allure of shiny trophies and competing for and with legendary men made coming here a no-brainer.

This is my eighth year in the National Football League, and this is the first time that I'll be running routes and catching passes from a legitimate NFL quarterback.  Not to discount Ryan Fitzpatrick, E.J. Manual or Kyle Orton but, come on, they are not Tom Brady.

Those Bills teams were built upon a power running game, but when the inevitiable injuries started piling up in the backfield and those guys were forced to the air, they became sitting ducks behind an offensive line that was constructed to accommodate the running game, and proved to be leaky at best in pass protection - leaving them no time to get the ball downfield and making me a fourth or fifth option as a safety valve.

But I'm more than that - you know it and I know it.  My game is all about locating the soft spot in the zone and showing the quarterback my numbers, which jibes well with what the Patriots do in clearing out the underneath zones with Gronkowski up the seam, LaFell to the intermediate zone and Edelman to the sticks - leaving the middle of the field wide open - and with my size and huge hands coupled with Brady's accuracy and legendary short-area velocity, well, that's pretty much a match made in football heaven.

Just for fun, I look at my fantasy projections from week-to-week and year-to-year, and those folks aren't expecting much out of me, but I think they fail to see who's throwing me the ball and how many other weapons there are on this team - and just by default I should have a career season, topping 2013's 53/655/2 line.

But this isn't fantasy - certainly it's not for our opponents, who are going to have to try and find a way to stop a potent passing game with towering pass catchers and the best quarterback in the history of the league throwing us the ball.

Can you say juggernaut?

Sincerely,

Scott

P.S. Sorry about always going off on your defenses over the years, you just never had a coverage 'backer that could handle me!  Hopefully that's the case with all of our opponents this season!


Resume'

Education: 

University of Iowa

Work Experience:

2015 - Present - New England Patriots
2010 - 2014 - Buffalo Bills
                       182 receptions, 2120 yards (11.6 avg.), 17 touchdowns
2010 - Dallas Cowboys (Practice squad only)
2009 - New York Giants & Dallas Cowboys (6 games with Giants, no stats)
2007 - 2009 - San Diego Chargers (9 games, no stats)

Personal Information:

Born July 23, 1985 at Bedford, Texas
Height: 6' 7"
Weight: 260

Website:

Scott Chandler Player Page - Foxborough Free Press

No comments:

Post a Comment