Monday, July 28, 2014

Patriots' Résumé - James Develin

Dear Coach Belichick,

I was too small to play defensive end coming out of Brown University in 2010.

Which isn't a rarity for a kid coming out of an Ivy League school, as getting a great education to give them a leg up in life is what football players go to Brown for, not to come out of school with false hopes of being in the National Football League - and I did graduate with a degree in Mechanical Engineering - so to quote Bill Murray from Caddyshack, "I have that going for me, which is nice."

But setting at a drafting table and sipping coffee out of a Styrofoam cup isn't me - at least not yet, as my engineering degree will always be there for me to pursue as a second career whenever I choose. 

Football won't, however, as the window of opportunity to realize the NFL dream is so small that it has to be measured with a micrometer.

You know my story: Undrafted, went to play in Oklahoma City in the Arena League for half a season, then joined up with the Florida Tuskers of the UFL before the Bengals offered me a tryout, then sat rotting on their practice squad while thinking I was making progress in their system - but I found out differently when they cut me after the 2012 season.

But thanks to you, I was unemployed for less than a day.

You see, even though I played defensive end in college, I knew I would never be big enough to play on the line in the pros, and my coach at Brown supported that theory and actually played me at fullback in one game in my senior season, a position that both my agent I knew would be my only ticket to the NFL - and I began honing that skill set in the United Football League.

Four years later, here I am with a tangible opportunity to carve out a significant role in your offense, one that has evolved into an old-fashioned H-back position where I can play anywhere from fullback to tight end to being split out as a flanker.

I have shown both my versatility and skill, and while I'm no Gronk (who is?), I'm no doorknob either, to plagiarize Caddyshack once again - At 6' 3" and 255 pounds, I'm a terrific lead blocker and like me a little contact, pushing linebackers back into the second level where they belong, and I also have "soft" hands and enough speed to take a linebacker in the passing game...

...and if you decide to run with just Gronk and Hooman at tight end, you can count on me to back them up and, indeed, contribute to the success of the team in many different ways.

Respectfully,

James


******************************


Résumé

James Rittenhouse Develin
c/o New England Patriots
Gillette Stadium
1 Patriot Place
Foxborough, Massachusetts 02035




Career Focus:

Realizing my dream of being a Championship quality player for the New England Patriots before pursuing a second career as a mechanical engineer.

Education:
  • Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering from Brown University (Class of 2010)
Professional Experience:
  • 2012 - Present:  New England Patriots (NFL)
  • 2010 - 2012:  Cincinnati Bengals (NFL)
  • 2010:  Florida Tuskers (UFL)
  • 2010:  Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz (Arena)
Regular Season Stats (17 games):
  • Gained 10 yards on 4 carries (2.5 ypc)
  • Caught 4 balls for 62 yards (15.5 ypr)
  • Scored 1 career touchdown (Rushing vs. Houston in 2013)


Publisher's note: This"Résumé" is the work of the staff from Foxborough Free Press and is part of an ongoing series highlighting the players who - in our opinion - will be part of the 53 man roster when Patriots' training camp breaks.

Unless otherwise noted in quotations, the comments made in this article come from the imagination of the staff, not from the players themselves.

Be sure to follow the series, starting with the "Résumés" already posted:

7. Sebastian Vollmer - Offensive Tackle
8. Kyle Arrington - Slot Corner
9. Shane Vereen - Running Back

No comments:

Post a Comment