Sunday, July 19, 2015

Patriots Resume' - Jamie Collins

What if New England Patriots' head ball coach Bill Belichick required resumes from his players - what would those look like?  We take a stab at them, in alphabetical order...

Dear Coach,

I used to be a safety.

I play like a safety.  I play with that last line of defense attitude.  You've seen me cover tight ends, you've seen me rush the quarterback and you've seen me in run support.  I'm just a big, long safety playing linebacker. Watch me in coverage. I jump into the tight end's hip pocket and stay there. I get my head around to look for the ball, which accounts for my 4 career interceptions and 16 passes defended in just two seasons.

Those are safety numbers.  Hell, those are cornerback numbers on some teams.  But I'm a linebacker, and a pretty damned good one.

Of course, you already know that.  I have been a high school quarterback, defensive end, linebacker and defensive back, and repeated the feat in college, sans the quarterback play.  I took state in track and field in high school in both the shot put and discus throw, and placed second in the triple jump and the high jump...

...and then coming out of college I blew up the combine, setting a record broad jump and finishing at or near the top of five of the seven measurables - but what those measurables will not tell you is what is in my heart.  Dedication to the game of football, dedication to my craft, dedication to my team and responsibility and accountability to my team mates.

In my senior year at Southern Miss, our team sucked, both literally and figuratively, but I never stopped fighting, never stopped trying, never once let my teammates down. All of us had every excuse we needed to not try, to give up - but we didn't, and I'm proud of that. I could have all of the athletic talent in the world, but it is my attitude that makes me the player that I am.

Many publications are lauding my efforts last year as a "Breakout" season, but I don't think they've seen the best of Jamie Collins. Consider that in the Super Bowl, Russell Wilson faked me out of my socks on a boot action, and Marshawn Lynch used me like a snot rag on that sick wheel route to start the Seahawks' final drive - and that just won't do.

I'm better than that, and I am motivated to make those plays this season.  There is always room for improvement, right?  You tell us that all the time in practice, and I'm glad to hear it because, as you know, football has a short memory - football won't let you dwell on past failures, nor will it allow you to dine on past successes.  No, football wants a player to strive for perfection on each and every play, practice rep and in game plan study.

You require that as well, so it's like college all over again, only I get paid and we win a lot of games. I wasn't used to that in school, but it's definitely easy to get used to in the pros - and winning it all last year seems so surreal, like a dream that you swear is real, but still can't quite believe it.  That said, I'm ready to do that again!



Sincerely,

J.C.

Resume'

Education: 

University of Southern Mississippi

Work Experience:

2014 - Present - New England Patriots
                           Regular season: 194 tackles, 4 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, 3 fumble recoveries
                           11 passes defended, 2 interceptions
                           Playoffs: 36 tackles, 1 sack, 5 passes defended, 2 interceptions

Awards:

2014 - Super Bowl Champion
2013 - Pro Football Focus All Rookie Team
2013 - Set Combine record in Broad Jump (11' 7")


Personal Information:

Born October 20, 1989 at McCall Creek, Mississippi
Height: 6' 3"
Weight: 250

Website:

Jamie Collins Player Profile - Foxborough Free Press

No comments:

Post a Comment