Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Patriots Resume' - Malcom Brown

What if New England Patriots' head ball coach Bill Belichick required resumes from his players - what would those look like?  We take a stab at them, in alphabetical order...

Dear Coach,

I am not Vince Wilfork, nor am I his "replacement", no matter how many columnists and fans place that label on me.

I am a run-stuffer, but I can do it any way you ask me to.  I can penetrate and blow up plays in the backfield.  I can bull a double team three yards deep in the backfield, re-establishing the line of scrimmage.  I have the quickness to beat those same double teams, the elite hand usage to shed and toss aside my mirror, and my burst through the gap and closing speed to the quarterback in the pass rush is unheard of for a man my size.

You see the speed in my tape.  My combine 40 was disappointing to a lot of experts, but you look at my tape and tell me that the guy you see runs a 5.05 - Track speed is one thing, playing speed is quite another.

I'm not just a nose tackle, either.  I can play the three-tech - in fact many draft experts project me as a one-gap tackle in the 4-3, but I'm even more that that. I have the hands and the edge speed to play the five.  I can rush from a standing position or blow back the guard from the four-point stance meaning that I am a true every down player, especially in your complex, rotational scheme.

I'm a pretty neat toy to have - I can play anywhere along the line, and combined with the versatility of guys like Easley and Sheard and Moore, you could switch between four and three man fronts without batting an eye.

All of this may seem rather brazen for a soft-spoken, humble under-graduate from Texas, but I'm not the same person on the field as I am off of it.  Off the field, I am a young father helping my wife raise our two daughters, something made infinitely easier with the the contract I just signed - on the field, however, there are no kid gloves.  I'm a hands fighter and was generally accepted as having the best hands and shedding technique in the class.

As I stated before, I am no Vince Wilfork.  Conversely, Wilfork is no Malcom Brown.  We are different people, different players with different skill sets.  I'm sure you'll find my brand of athleticism as enticing and as useful as his was.

Sincerely,

Malcom (Hook 'em, Horns!)

Resume'

Education: 

University of Texas

Work Experience:

2015 - New England Patriots

Awards:

2015 - 1st round draft pick, New England Patriots
2014 - Consensus All-American
2014 - First-team All Big 12
2009 - Under Armour High School All American

Personal Information:

Born - February 2, 1994 at Brenham, Texas
Height - 6' 2"
Weight - 320

No comments:

Post a Comment