Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Patriots Resume' - Nate Ebner

What if New England Patriots' head ball coach Bill Belichick required resumes from his players - what would those look like?  We take a stab at them, in alphabetical order...

Dear Coach,

Just letting you know that there is no pressure on you whatsoever to select me for the football team, so don't stress out over it, ok?  I'll be fine; I can always just go play rugby.

I didn't play high school football and I initially didn't play in college, naturally, having no experience in football whatsoever, but figured that hanging on the football team at Ohio State was better for my education since as far as I'd probably have to travel would be California, while playing rugby took me all over the world.

So football is like my second choice, and I know you understand that from your experience with Lacrosse - so don't worry about me, I have options.

It's not a threat, it's the truth.  When I was in high school, I was the youngest player ever to be named the U.S. National Rugby Union team, and was named Most Valuable Player of the team in the 2007 and 2008 seasons while attending Ohio State University, but gave it up in 2009 to concentrate on my education...

...subsequently walking onto the football team and making the squad as a special teams maven, earning the moniker of the best special teams player by being named the Ike Kelly Award winner. The move to quit international competition in Rugby proved fortuitous to my education, as I made the Big 10 All-Academic honoree three years in a row.

I figured once I graduated I could go back to playing rugby because no one wants a crazy special teams only guy, but there you were in the sixth round of the 2012 draft, making my life complicated all over again!

The Olympics are coming up next year, and Rugby has been added to the docket for the first time in nearly a century - so I suppose my career choices have reached a crossroads, but that has nothing to do with me being here.  I'm signed through this season, and I intend on honoring my contract.

As you know, I've got a screw loose.  I've said that on many occasions when asked about my favorite work on special teams: "Kickoffs. I enjoy running down the field as fast as I can.  It's mayhem. It's exciting. It's crazy. It's such a rush...it's just one big blur, then it's over." In fact, my teammates in Columbus nicknamed me "Leonidas", after the Greek warrior-king because I kinda look like him, but mostly because of my crazy look on the football field.

So, I do enjoy football.  I like to intimidate the opposing players.  I like to hit them.  I like running full speed and I like the collisions and I love to work out - and if it's all the same to you, let's let 2015 play out and we'll worry about contacts and stuff next offseason...

Sincerely,

Leonidas

Resume'

Education: 

Ohio State University

Work Experience:

2012 - present: New England Patriots
                         Regular season: 36 defensive tackles, 37 special teams tackles, 2 fumble recoveries
                         Playoffs: 9 special teams tackles

Awards:

2014 - Super Bowl Champion
2011 - Bo Rein Award (Most inspirational player at OSU)
2011 - Ike Kelly Award (Best special teams player at OSU)
2008 - MVP IRB 20 and under World Championships
2007 - MVP IRB 19 and under World Championships

Personal Information:

Born December 14, 1988 at Dublin, Ohio
Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 210

Website:

Nate Ebner Player Profile - Foxborough Free Press

No comments:

Post a Comment